EMSBo DMeeting Minutes030118
Board of Directors
Meeting date: 03/01/2018
- 2 Old Business/Action Item Review
- 2.1 Jeffrey will reach out to the membership to see if there's interest in doing a membership-organized baseball night.
- 2.2 Jeffrey will make a shopping trip.
- 2.3 Ben will generate a report about which users are using the door system.
- 2.4 Joe will reach out to the membership to seek interested parties to perform lectures and produce content.
- 2.5 $200 expenditure related to Laser Master
- 2.6 Proposal for an organization wide Co C (code of conduct) (Jeffrey)
- 2.7 Computers donation and plan (Ben)
- 2.8 Metamorphose event (Jeffrey)
- 3 Action Items:
Call to order:
A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #1; Eugene OR on March 1st, 2018. The meeting convened at 6:06 PM Kevin Forsythe presiding and Ben Hallert as secretary.
Board Members in attendance: Jeffrey, Karen, Ben, Kevin, Jher, Piotr
Board Members not in attendance:
Quorum present? Yes
Also Present Were: Tanda, Beatta, Dakota
Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
- Call to order
- Approve the agenda
- Review previous meeting minutes
- Officers Reports
- President's Report
- Secretary's Report
- Treasurer's Report
- Old Business/Action Item Review
- Jeffrey will reach out to the membership to see if there's interest in doing a membership-organized baseball night.
- Jeffrey will make a shopping trip.
- Ben will generate a report on which users are using the door system.
- Joe will reach out to the membership to seek interested parties to perform lectures and produce content.
- New Business
- Action Items Review
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Ben and seconded by Kevin to approve this meeting's proposed agenda.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Karen and seconded by Jeffrey to approve the minutes of the 2/01/18 meeting.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Ham station is set up. Go Box is under assembly! This is a tote of things for taking to events so we can have a presentation-in-a-box.
Piotr has taken on treasurer-related tasks. He was added as a signer on the account. They removed the previous treasurer and the signers are now Piotr, Darrel, and Clif. The current combined balance is $536 and is with rent paid. He wil deposit dues that he has collected today. He will set up a debit card for himself to make deposits easier and he will set up autopay going forward. It current involves a lot of manual effort and 'poking around' and can be improved.
He would really like to see a proper membership tracking system where we can track payments and send automatic notifications to users who have missed their payments.
He does not have access to our coinbase account so the ~$100 is safely stored.
Kevin asked to get an idea about how many payments were processed regularly and Piotr hasn't had enough time to determine a trend.
He notes that our Meetup page needs some decoration, it's very minimal right now. Karen is interested in helping with this.
ACTION: Piotr will make Karen a Meetup admin.
Old Business/Action Item Review
Jeffrey will reach out to the membership to see if there's interest in doing a membership-organized baseball night.
Jeffrey will touch base with the organizer at the field to verify some things, he's suspecting that it may not be a good match for the organization as described to him. He will see if we can just have a table at one of the games without doing any of the other $$$ stuff.
ACTION: Jeffrey will contact the organizer at the baseball field to see if we can get a table for doing a presentation
Jeffrey will make a shopping trip.
He totally did. He hit the Dollar Store. He got a battery and brought life into our lives in the form of a lightbulb purchase and then put the bulbs into the lightbulb drawer. He delegated some other purchases to Piotr and also took a load to the dump. He also updated the purchase list by the door.
ACTION: Jeffrey will reach out to Dale to see if he is still interested in the Shop Steward position
Ben will generate a report about which users are using the door system.
ACTION: Ben will generate a report about active users and provide Piotr with the report
Joe will reach out to the membership to seek interested parties to perform lectures and produce content.
He was not present. Continue
Clif volunteered to pay Marcel for his truck rental and mirrored it in email. Yesterday when we discussed the status of the $200 reimbursement, Clif suggested that the $200 be applied to a membership for Marcel. Why is the EMS being charged for this $200 now?
We discussed the sequence of events that led to the aborted pickup of the router.
Jher expressed concern that Joe and Clif took on negotiating for the router and bypassing Karen (who had been given responsibility for managing the disposition of the tool). He feels this was inappropriate and that it shall be clearly communicated to those parties that this was not an acceptable sequence. He recommends that negotiating on behalf of the Eugene Maker Space without consent of the board is not allowed.
Piotr spoke with Clif who claimed Jeffrey had given Clif permission to negotiate with Marcel which Jeffrey denies. From his discussion with Marcel, he also noted that Marcel would be ok with accepting membership in lieu of actual cash reimbursement. Piotr promised Clif that he would bring this to the board meeting.
Karen expressed frustration that Clif and Joe have repeatedly and publicly cast her as a villain. The board agreed that his characterization is not accurate and is unacceptable as she operated under the direction of the board.
Jher stated again that Clif is no longer in a position to negotiate on behalf of the board and that Clif Cox owes $200 to Marcel and the form that takes is between him and Marcel. If he would like to pay the Maker Space himself so that the money is applied to a membership for Marcel, that would be acceptable.
Ben suggested that if Clif would like the Maker Space to grant membership to Marcel, he should petition the board and make that case himself and that the discussion should not be tied to the above discussion.
ACTION: Piotr will tell Clif to not negotiate on behalf of the organization and let him know that we're willing to provide Marcel with 12 months of membership when Clif pays EMS the $200 he committed to Marcel originally.
Proposal for an organization wide Co C (code of conduct) (Jeffrey)
Jeffrey sent an exampe of a code of conduct he encountered that he felt would be a positive thing for the organization.
Karen suggested that any updates to our Co C be targeted at actual abuse so that just 'salty language' alone wouldn't run a member afoul who is operating in good faith.
Jher expressed interest as well and suggested the language be solid so that it could be clearly enforced.
Ben expressed interest in bolstering our Co C and enforcing it better than we have recently.
Tanda made a presentation about the current Co C so the board was aware of what we had currently on the books. She also suggested that we form a group to flesh out the code of conduct. Jher suggested that we involve a lawyer to evaluate what we come up with so that it is more enforceable than what is currently in place. Ben predicted that if we commit to that, the conversation of boosting our Co C will end at the end of this board meeting.
ACTION: Tanda and Kevin will begin the process of updating our code of conduct to meet the organization's current needs
Computers donation and plan (Ben)
Ben briefed the board on the computer donation from Symantec. We currently have 17 systems running Linux and two Windows with a few more machines still to process. Once all of the systems are installed and a sensible spare reserve is in place, he would like to work to get any surplus systems to low income members of the community/maker space.
Jeffrey would like us to make sure that we have an internal centralized site with info about the different machines and a central repository for moving files easily to the systems.
Metamorphose event (Jeffrey)
He will attend an event in town and seek new members,
- Tanda and Kevin will begin the process of updating our code of conduct to meet the organization's current needs
- Piotr will make Karen a Meetup admin.
- Piotr will tell Clif to not negotiate on behalf of the organization and let him know that we're willing to provide Marcel with 12 months of membership when Clif pays EMS the $200 he committed to Marcel originally.
- Jeffrey will contact the organizer at the baseball field to see if we can get a table for doing a presentation
- Jeffrey will reach out to Dale to see if he is still interested in the Shop Steward position
- Ben will generate a report about active users and provide Piotr with the report
Ben moved for adjournment and was seconded by Kevin.
The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 7:37PM.
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space
* Set ALLOWTOPICCHANGE = Main.EmsGDGroup
* Set ALLOWTOPICRENAME = Main.EmsGDGroup