EMSBo DMeeting Minutes031915

From Eugene Maker Space
(Redirected from EMSBoDMeetingMinutes031915)
Jump to: navigation, search

Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 3/19/2015

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #2, Eugene OR on March 19, 2015. The meeting convened at 6:41PM, Rick Osgood presiding and Ben Hallert secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Rick, Bob, Ben, Darrell
Board Members not in attendance: Kassie

Quorum present? Yes

Also Present Were: Clif, CJ

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.


  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Treasurer Report
  4. Facilities Report
  5. Action Item Review from 3/05/2015 Bo D Meeting
  6. Vote on key and membership for Dale
  7. 501c3 work session

Approval of Agenda

Motion was made by Rick and seconded by Darrell to approve this meeting's proposed agenda as amended.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of Minutes

Motion was made by Bob to approve the previous meeting's minutes and seconded by Darrell.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Treasurer Report

EMS currently has 15 paying members. Bob knows of two possible floating new members, there was some confusion about who those are. Bob suggested that on the second meeting of each month, we review a list of non-paying members to determine where the losses are. Rick agreed that this could also create an opportunity to follow up with ex-members to find areas of improvement for the club. Darrell noted that the 15 member figure is from February which may explain the delta. Following a level of pestering of Rick in accordance with industry standards, it was determined that the correct number must actually now be 16. We attempted to metaphorically shake more members from the tree before moving on.

Facilities Report

Vinyl cutter, no update.

CNC: Dale is tracking down an intermittent short he believes to be causing the driver board blowouts.

Laser: There is now a hole in the wall but no table. Rick discovered a laser cutter.

Bob induced Darrell to report on the Prntr Bot status and we learned that it was 'mostly working'. Darrell may not have time to spend many cycles on the bot in the near future.

Beatta took the Thing-o-matic apart to clean out the extruder. There is no status.

We have a sign for open hack nights! Bob thanked CJ for his assistance in regularly getting the sign out and back in on hack nights. There has been no progress on the general mess.

Rick inquired about the smoke that bellowed out of the vacuum pump. Bob reported that Jamey drained and topped the oil for the vacuum pump before running a job of helmets. Rick believes there are two canisters of oil and will attempt to find them. Ben provided an update on the Time Lapser and indicated that he hoped to have it installed by the next board meeting.

ACTION: Bob will write some sort of thing about what the squawk sheet is and inform the membership.

Old business:

Action Item Review from 3/05/2015 Bo D Meeting

Rick will send out an email to lure people in for a shop cleanup.

He will take care of this, it remains 'to do'. He would like this done before Mayor Kitty Piercy tours the shop. Also, he announced that Mayor Piercy will tour the shop.

Rick will send a mail to lure people to the launch party and to participate in the Maker Faire event. He will also put out a call for photos and video to be played at an EMS booth.

This remains an open item

Rick will make a video to demonstrate tutorials

No update was available at this time.

Rick will mail the group to give an update on the progress re: tools. He will offer update on Bob's laser cutter, vent, table, etc. He will also report on the CNC mill. He will also find some videos showing the machines in action so people can visualize.

This is completed. He suggests that after each board meeting, we put up a blog post updating the membership on progress of how this is going.

Bob will investigate this to find out if he can figure out why we're not showing up as 'Within 5 miles of Eugene' in Meet Up

Darrell contacted meetup.com customer support and determined that we needed to fake-out our zipcode. Once this was done, we began to show up as within 5 miles of Eugene.

Bob reported on our Facebook, Google+,youtube, twitter accounts and blog are quiet most of the time. Rick believes the core issue is that we are not generating much content. Bob asked who checked out the ARRL guidance on PR. Nobody had finished it and it appeared that perhaps Bob was the only one who had even started to read it. He suggested perhaps we assign a team action item to read the guide and discuss at next meeting. Rick suggested 'someone' bring in a camera and ask people about their projects before recognizing the danger of proposed a 'someone' task. Before he was able to rephrase this idea, it was assigned to him but not formally identified as an action item. He will attempt this on the Tuesday Openhack Night.

ACTION: Rick, Bob, Ben will read the ARRL PR guideline before the next meeting

Bob will edit the meetup account to allow Rick to post


Darrell will update address online for Oregon Department of Revenue

Needs to be done on paper. This remains a to-do.

New business:

Vote on key and membership for Dale

Bob moved to grant Dale a scholarship membership (3 month duration per bylaws), Ben seconded the motion. Darrell, Ben, and Bob indicated willingness to sponsor.

The motion carried with unanimous approval.

501c3 work session

A work session was performed on the 501c3 application before the meeting was convened.

Action Items:



  • Rick, Bob, Ben will read the ARRL PR guideline before the next meeting


  • Bob will write some sort of thing about what the squawk sheet is and inform the membership.
  • Rick, Bob, Ben will read the ARRL PR guideline before the next meeting



  • Rick, Bob, Ben will read the ARRL PR guideline before the next meeting


Rick moved for adjournment and was seconded by both Ben and Darrell simultaneously in a quantum finish.

The vote was unanimous, the meeting was adjourned at 7:10 PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space