EMSBo DMeeting Minutes041713

From Eugene Maker Space
(Redirected from EMSBoDMeetingMinutes041713)
Jump to: navigation, search

Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 4/17/2013

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #2, Eugene OR on April 17th, 2013. The meeting convened at 6:18 PM, Rick Osgood, presiding, and Clif Cox secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Clif, Rick, Kassie, Kevin
Board Members not in attendance: Bob

Quorum present? Yes

Also Present Were: none

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.


  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Adafruit reseller discussion
  4. Fertilab discussion.

Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Rick, and seconded by Kassie to approve this meeting's proposed agenda.

Unanimous approval.

Motion carried.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Rick , and seconded by Clif to approve the minutes of the 04/03/13 meeting.

Unanimous approval.

Motion carried.

Adafruit reseller discussion

Adafruit will give us up to 40% off of group purchases, this is the same discount range available to any distributor. Most hacker spaces will group their orders into $500 chunks. There is a potential issue with UBITS as far as the IRS is concerned. We could ask the school factory about it.


This is a small Bio-Hacker group that would like to join us in the search for a larger space, their leader is Matt Beaudet. Matt also has a small bio-startup called Cellfire.They found a space at the old QSL building which is about 18,000sqt, and would like to fill it with our two groups, Cellfire, and several other bio-startups. The building has lots of power including on the support pillars throughout the large open area, two big roll up doors, a stairwell to the second story which has more office space and a smaller open area. Lots of windows upstairs but only one downstairs though it's very well lit with lots of full spectrum lighting. We would need a template for intergroup working relationships which would be an ongoing process. How do we continue to collect membership dues in proportion to the people using the space? Talked about shared vs separate space. Changes the dynamic, open spaces encourage collaboration, separate promotes control over resources. One idea is to have a paid employee who's job is to get more members for all groups so we can quickly get to a place where we could actually afford the space. We will work out what our requirements would be to collaborate with other groups.

Action Items:


  • Continue on the fire extinguisher refill.


  • Start a requirements document for collaborating with other groups and email to board.




  • Contact School factory about becoming an Adafruit distributor. Will we will run into UBITs issues?


Clif moved for adjournment, Seconded by Rick.

Unanimous, the meeting was adjourned at 7:36 PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space