EMSBo DMeeting Minutes062917

From Eugene Maker Space
(Redirected from EMSBoDMeetingMinutes062917)
Jump to: navigation, search

Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 06/29/2017

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #1, Eugene OR on June 29, 2017. The meeting convened at 6:10 PM, Clif Cox presiding and Tanda LInde secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Clif, Tanda, Dean, Jher
Board Members not in attendance: none

Quorum present? Yes / Provisional

Also Present Were: Erin (from STEAM camp), Crystal Hall from Looking Glass Center Point School, Tucker and Beatta

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.


  1. Call to order:
  2. Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
  3. Officer's reports:
    1. President
    2. Treasurer
    3. Secretary
    4. PR (vacant)
    5. Facilities (vacant)
  4. Old business:
    1. Action Item Review from 06/15/2017 Bo D Meeting
      1. Clif:
      2. Ben
      3. Tanda
      4. Jher
    2. Tabled Items from 06/15/2017 Bo D Meeting
      1. Rick Dancer
    3. STEAM Camp
    4. Donation Policy
  5. New business:
    1. Ben Resignation
    2. New Member Info Sheet
    3. Donation at 7p
  6. New Action Items
  7. Adjournment

Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Dean to approve this meeting's proposed agenda

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Tanda to approve the minutes with one minor addition (include offer of invitation to Steam Camp to come back this meeting) of the June 29th, 2017 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Officer's reports:


  • Oregon Country Fair is the 7-9th of July. Community Village Door of Expression booth has volunteer openings for an EMS presence. Talk to Clif for a day pass.
  • ACTION ITEM: Post to discuss and ask for volunteers to represent EMS.


  • State of Affairs Financially: Currently have $694.23 in combined accounts (checking, paypal). July's bills that are already paid: Rent, Electric, Cable. Outstanding July bills: Liab. ins.
  • Membership: 26 paying members. 4 made by cash deposit, 22 use Pay Pal. Of the Paypal users: (2) $100, (3) $50, (2) $35, (15) $25. We have 8 add. "members" that access the door but do not pay.


  • "Fix-It" cafe sent email seeking volunteers.
  • ACTION ITEM: Post to discuss to ask for volunteers to represent EMS.

Board and committee reports: None.

Old business:

Action Item Review from 06/29/2017 BoD Meeting


  • Continue to work on Donation list. Jack Mc Cormic just gave a large donation of equipment and materials. He would like the material that was donated to also be included in the itemized list that gets compiled for the donation letter in January 2018. Clif is working on the list and will give it to him to review soon.


  • Because of Ben's resignation, he was not present at this meeting. To my knowledge (Tanda), all items have been complete except the tax donation letter.
    • Cross-post Save the Bees article to the Facebook group
    • He will follow-up with Jim in getting details and describing the volunteer coordinator position.
    • Draft a written follow up to the board and the donator once all items are accounted for and to be completed in 2018 for tax donation letter
    • Post the STEAM camp flyer to the Facebook page


  • Send the board the email from NAO on other resources. Completed and sent.
  • To Post to the Discussion forum asking about the box of kits. Also completed and sent. So far no response.


  • Update RSS feed on website to include the STEAM camp information. He described the new links and how it all loops back to the registration page.

Tabled Items from 06/15/2017 Bo D Meeting

Rick Dancer. This item was proposed by Ben who is no longer with us. There was no discussion.

<NOTE: At this point the discussion was supposed to move on to the Steam Camp. Crystal Hall from Looking Glass Center Point School was introduced and...read on>

Workshops for Looking Glass Center Point School

Crystal Hall from Looking Glass Center Point School introduced herself and the school and who it represents. They are an all year school for 12-17 y.o. at risk many with autism. Her idea is to have as part of their curriculum a hands-on field trip to the Maker Space one day a week during the summer. It would be roughly be 6-7 youth/3 staff.

Clif invited to sign up for STEAM camp. She politely refused as it was during their school day.

Tanda asked about minor waiver and how that would be handled. They would have parent authorization at school.

Dean said early Aug he could work on a class.

ACTION ITEM: To work on a glider class and get back in touch with Crystal.

She mentioned that the school had a small budget for materials.

We thanked her for her time and will remain in contact with her about working together in the future.

Crystal left at 6:35 pm.


Erin M. reported that we had 4 children signed up all believed to be girls (yay!). The time for camp is 9:00 - 10:45a Morning session, 10:45- 11:15a Snack, 11:15 - 1:00p Afternoon session. Miles is set-up to instruct the first half of the day and then they would have snack. After that we need a EMS volunteer to present a class/talk/demo for about 45 minutes Mon-Thur. She already had Dean for Gliders and Ben for Laser/Fidget Spinners.

Dean said he could commit to Wednesday. Lesson on airplane design and gliders.

Clif presented that he could take some flyers for the camp to be put up at different OCF community locations and at the Doors booth.

ACTION ITEM: Clif to coordinate with Erin to get 20 STEAM camp flyers to post at the OCF.

Erin also said they are in need of volunteers at the Lane Co. Fair. STEM in the auditorium. Contact her to get a day pass or if you want to present and idea to youth at the fair.

Erin left at 6:58p

<OFF TOPIC> Dean get a small update on what he has heard as to the progress of the Info Hub at the downtown LCC building. Clif also shared a comment. Basically politics and very little movement forward.

<NOTE: Again things happen as they do. Our potential donation at 7p has shown up. We move his item up.>

New Business: Donation at 7p

Reed Lucas had messaged us on Facebook. Rick Osgood had emailed the board to see what we should do about his want to donate items to the shop. There were some discussion and I invited him to the ending of the normal board meeting time to explain what he was looking for from us and what he was potentially donating.

Mr Lucas had inherited these tools from a relative and that he was looking to store them for use at the shop in exchange for free membership. Upon much discussion and a bit of initial confussion the board agreed informally to not accept the condition of his offer. He stated that all the tools were for sale and in his trailer if anyone wanted to view.

<NOTE: Half the group got up to go outside and order to the meeting was called. We still have business to attend to.>

Tanda asked for the Old Business: Donation Policy and the New Business: New member Info Sheet be Tabled for sake of time and the fact that I did not get the printed materials prepared in time. The group agreed to table these two items.

Donation Policy


New business:

New Member Info Sheet:


Ben Hallert's Board Resignation:

On Wednesday June 28th, 2017 Ben Hallert wrote and email to the board email list tendering his resignation from the board.

Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Dean to accept the resignation of Ben Hallert from the Board of Directors and to thank him immensely for his service and countless hours of dedication to the success of EMS and that his continued sage advice is always welcome. The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Action Items:


  • Post to discuss and ask for volunteers to represent EMS at the Oregon Country Fair.
  • .Clif to coordinate with Erin to get 20 STEAM camp flyers to post at the OCF


  • To work on a glider class and get back in touch with Crystal Hall at the Looking Glass Center Point School.



  • Post to discuss to ask for volunteers to represent EMS at the fix-it cafes



Tanda moved for adjournment and was seconded by Clif.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 7:15 PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space