EMSBo DMeeting Minutes100417
Board of Directors
Meeting date: 10/04/2017
- 1 Call to order:
- 1.1 Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
- 1.2 Officer's reports:
- 1.3 Revisit two donated items
- 1.4 Formalizing Advisory Roles
- 1.5 Electronic Documents
- 1.6 Brainstorming finances (short-term and medium-term)
- 1.7 Consideration for meetings for the future board
- 1.8 Inventory and system discussion
- 1.9 Donation policy
- 1.10 Action Items:
- 1.11 Adjournment:
Call to order:
A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #1, Eugene OR on Oct 4th , 2017. The meeting convened at 6:07PM, Tom Upchurch presiding and Jher secretary.
Board Members in attendance: Clif, Jher, Tom
Board Members not in attendance: none
Quorum present? Yes
Also Present Were: Kevin Forsithe, Ben, Joe Tyndall
Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
- Approve the agenda
- Review previous meeting minutes
- Officers reports
- Revisit two donated items
- Laser Master
- Welding equipment
- Formalizing advisory roles
- Note on how committees currently work
- Electronic documents who has signed the physical ones / door access.
- Brainstorming finances (short and medium)
- Less meetings for the future board
- Discussion on Roles
- Shop Steward
- Cleanup (shop, once / month On last Saturday)
- Inventory and system discussion
- Donation policy
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Tom to approve this meeting's proposed agenda (as amended)
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Jher to approve the minutes of the 9/21/17 meeting.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Jher reports that we had an very good membership meeting.
Clif exchanged emails and chatted with Dean on the phone, we plan to meet perhaps this week.
Clif completed the minutes of 09/07 and 09/21, and the 09/23 membership meeting's are in process.
Gave a Tour of the space today to some folks from the Linn Bennit CC. They were very excited about our space and had lots of questions. They said that out of the several places they looked at today that we were The real makerspace in Eugene.
At the recent TAO Ignite event, Erin of the Lane ESD gave a nice talk on the STEAM class she and Miles held at EMS. There was an exceptional response from attendees.
Dale asked if James could finish the wiring on the S wall, and we got that done last Sunday. yay James!
On 9/27 I had a meeting with Jeff, and Karyn of the Science Factory, and Erin of the Eugene Public Library to talk about the upcoming Pumpkin Chunkin event. We also talked about the mini maker faire, and came up with some action items for each. The pumpkin Chunkin event will be held at the Science Factory on Nov 4th. The EPL will have their library Maker Van there. If anyone knows of a food truck type vendor they are looking for one.
On Friday's 9/29 OHN, I met Jeff again and gave him the tour, we also talked about more STEAM classes. Marcel came by to drop off a Chiller for the Laser Master, and a new laser cutter for us to fix up in place of the one that was on loan from Jeffery. I think Tom and Marcel are working on a use agreement.
Revisit two donated items
Which belongs to Marcel. Tom and others have been working on it; permission is given to convert to a router and laser cutter. There was talk about what an appropriate use agreement would look like that would make us feel comfortable putting more time and energy into getting it working.
MOTION - Jher moved, and Tom Seconded that: Empower Tom to negotiate a use agreement with Marcel for at least 2-years to be determined.
The Harbor Freight wire feed welder we own, and the other three; the Tig, the Plasma Cutter, and the second Wire Feed are owned by Heather and on extended load to us. Those need to be labeled with a green tag with an "*” (personal property any can use) and * provided they know and can demonstrate how to use it.
MOTION - Jher moved, and Tom Seconded that: Tom to negotiate a use agreement with Heather
Motion Carried .
Formalizing Advisory Roles
At the previous membership meeting the discussion on creating advisory roles for the organization went very well.
Discussion on Roles
Shop Steward -- Responsibility for equipment maintenance, upkeep, and safety
Dale will appoint a small committee (David, Michael, Joe, and Clif have expressed interest in participating);
(6:40pm Piotr arrives)
Bridgeport Mill ( is on loan from Jeffrey); Dale needs to be notified if there any broken machines; metal table, add 2nd table to wire-in the kilns, storage below for hand-tools, etc., build a dust collection system for woodworking tools, are topic for the committee); Overseeing lockers/member storage (tote-size space but you can use more space for a fee)
Cleanup — shop, once/month on the last Saturday
Les will facilitate a cleanup once a month; the trash square was successful – procedure to get of rid of junk in the shop, put what should be trashed, pictures put online so that people can know what is there before being thrown away. There was some talk about how to organize stuff on the back wall, and also if the Kilns will get much use. Do we have enough member storage? Perhaps we can have lockers under tables.
SysAdmin — Clif (virtual machine on a physical server at Hurricane Electric);
Clif will update documentation on the wiki; Others would like the opportunity to rebuild the system. We worked on compiling a list of folks that had access to the various EMS systems and outside services.
- Comcast (commercial account, technical issues): Clif
- Keymaster (door, access control system with RFID fobs): Clif, Ben, and Michael
- Root password to the physical machine that the EMS image runs on: Clif, Piotr, and Jacob
- Root access to the EMS server: (Linux 4.7.10-initrd-grsec) Clif, Michael, and Tapar (and Rick & Cord)
- Social Media:
- Facebook: Ben and Tande
- Twitter: ??? (Mark Davis?)interim
- Google+ and GoodleVoice: Clif
- MeetUp: Clif
Clif will act as the interim !Sysadmin.
Then there was a brief discussion of Workplace messaging / cloud-based team collaboration systems:
- (Open Source) http://about.mattermost.com
- (Open Source) http://matrix.org
- (Open Source) http://rocket.chat
- (Open Source) http://wire.com/en
- (Open Source) http://zulipchat.com
- (Open Source) http://gitter.im
- (Proprietary) http://Slack.com
MOTION - Jher moved, and Tom Seconded that: We empower Clif to bring together all admin accounts and user names / passwords for all social media; create a hard copy letter in envelope—stored at a place TBD—of this information)
After some discussion. It was noted that electronic forms could be implemented in parallel with our current hard copy system.
MOTION - Jher moved, and Tom Seconded that: Empower Clif to identify all members, have everyone sign a new physical membership form/liability waiver that has not yet, and have them on file; and that membership file will then be collated to door access (active?); Fob (active/deactivate?); MailingList (announce list); hard copy permission; up-to-date dues; and have the Board review this spreadsheet that has columns for the status of these items.
Brainstorming finances (short-term and medium-term)
We discussed different revenue streams that we might develop to put us in a better financial position.
- Storage space for rental (policy is in place and we need to enforce the policy for member storage)
- Classes: newbies and others
- Raising dues to $35
- Stacks of electronic equipment that has never been used (have Dale, Ben, Jo and Biata pick items and potentially sell or dispose it), and review with the board for a final determination.
We decided to try to get rid of some stuff on Ebay. Dale Ben Joe and Beata would sort through it.
MOTION - Jher moved, and Tom Seconded that: Empower Dale (with Ben, Jo and Beata) to go through stacks of electronic equipment that has never been used, then pick items and potentially sell or dispose it, and first review with the board for a final determination.
Consideration for meetings for the future board
After much discussion, members attending this meeting expressed that it would be a good idea to:
MOTION - Jher moved, and Tom Seconded that: We will put forth a recommendation from the current board, when advertising to prospective board members the expectation they would be meeting once per month.
Inventory and system discussion
Mostly covered in earlier agenda items.
Partially addressed already, to be continued.
- Bring together all admin accounts and user names / passwords for all social media; create a hard copy letter in envelope—stored at a place TBD—of this information)
- Identify all members, have everyone sign a new physical membership form/liability waiver that has not yet, and have them on file; and that membership file will then be collated to door access (active?); Fob (active/deactivate?); MailingList (announce list); hard copy permission; up-to-date dues; and have the Board review this spreadsheet that has columns for the status of these items.
- Negotiate a use agreement with Marcel
- Negotiate a use agreement with Heather
Tom moved for adjournment and was seconded by Clif.
The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 8:26PM.
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space