EMSBo DMeeting Minutes111517
Board of Directors
Meeting date: 11/15/2017
- 1 Call to order:
- 1.1 Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
- 1.2 Officer's reports:
- 1.3 Election Discussion
- 1.4 Continuing Brainstorm finances (short-term and medium-term)
- 1.5 Continuing Discussion on Formalizing Advisory Roles and Related Issues
- 1.6 Continuing Discussion of Workplace messaging / cloud-based team collaboration
- 1.7 Action Items:
- 1.8 Announcements:
- 1.9 Adjournment:
Call to order:
A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #1, Eugene OR on Nov 15th, 2017. The meeting convened at 8:27PM, Tom Upchurch presiding and Jher secretary.
Board Members in attendance: Tom, Jher, and Clif
Board Members not in attendance: none
Quorum present? Yes
Also Present Were:
Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
- Approve the agenda
- Review previous meeting minutes
- Officer’s reports
- Election Discussion
- Continuing Brainstorm finances
- Continuing Discussion on Formalizing Advisory Roles and Related Issues
- Continuing Discussion of Workplace messaging / cloud-based team collaboration
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Tom to approve this meeting's proposed agenda.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Tom and seconded by Clif to approve the minutes of the 11/01/17 meeting.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Tom is still working on a draft of the donation and loan policy.
Jher and Tom paid for the new banner that was presented at the Science Factory’s 2017 Pumpkin Chunkin event.
Updates on current balance in account is approximately $2400. Still need to pay EWEB bill $95. Tax return was not filed last year (2016), and the annual report needs to be filed with State. Lane STEM Summer workshop grant money is coming in. This is the very first grant money that EMS has landed Ya! TAO Ignite video is incoming from Erin. Continuing to finalize the membership spreadsheet; sent members an email about those not in good standing who need to sign a new physical membership form/liability waiver and have them on file.. There are LinkdIn and Flickr accounts that are still outstanding and we can't seem to find out who initiated them. Clif and Joe photographed what was underneath the flooring, and Clif is in an ongoing conversation with the building manager.
- Based on the membership list of members in good standing include only 16 people currently are eligible to vote.
- Candidates for Board of Directors need to be in good standing.
- Currently there are 15 members nominated (6 accepted nominations, 7 not yet accepted nominations, 2 have declined).
- Tom, the current Board President, is not running for the new board and will facilitate the election, anyone else not running for the board is welcome to help monitor as well.
- Tom will send out an announcement with the names of those nominated and who those have accepted their nominations (nomination need to accepted by 10:00am on Saturday, November 25th—to ensure at least a week for the election). The election will take place between 11:00am Saturday, November 25th and 11:00am December 2nd online, and in-person at the Eugene Makerspace on December 2nd between 10:00-11:00am.
- Note: Opavote will be used for the election: www.opavote.com
Continuing Brainstorm finances (short-term and medium-term)
- Develop of a form for submitting concepts for Classes to EMS.
- Also need to make a list of emergent and previous projects (successes)
- Future Classes:
- What is Burning Man? Clif to lead a lecture (agreed to facilitate)
- Possible Events and Collaborations
- Lectures on Science, Technology, & Society
- Movie Nights
• Eugene Mini-Maker Faire (Clif has been invited to participate on their Board and will email and cc the EMS Board that he is not representing the organization and is acting instead as an individual)
Continuing Discussion on Formalizing Advisory Roles and Related Issues
- Accountant is currently the Treasurer. Does EMS require a CPA for this role?
- Attorney: there is currently no one representing the organization. Should someone be acting as legal council for EMS?
- Accounts: Contact person, Treasurer (this role is currently facilitated by Clif) including:
- Lease agreement
- Utilities / Bills: Contact person, Treasurer (this role is currently facilitated by Clif) including:
- EWEB (still in Dean’s name?)
- Comcast (Treasurer, Clif)
- SysAdmin (this role is currently an interim role and responsibility of Clif)
- SysAdmin contractor costs (donated amount needs to be calculated based on hours and fee)
- Clif estimates his donated time at approx. $100/hr. and additionally is donating the server (including virtual machine) and server costs as well—this cost needs to be calculated.
- EMS System Admin Notes: eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/SystemAdmin
- KeyMaster Door System 2.0 was developed by Ben and Rick. It will need to be able to turn off door access for non-members and members not in good standing. EMS needs documentation and the source code, so as to be able to recreate and redeploy it as need be.
- Trash: There is a calendar item for the last Saturday of each month as a clean-up day.
Continuing Discussion of Workplace messaging / cloud-based team collaboration
- One of the goals of the organization should be to utilize open source software wherever possible. Member communications need to be inclusive, integrated with other communication technologies, and most importantly approved by EMS
- Tom will send out an election announcement with the names of those members who are nominated and who those have accepted their nominations.
- Tom has agreed to draft a donation and loan policy
- Will post the “STEAM Education for the Future” talk from TAO Ignite and the Eugene Magazine article.
- Will file the tax return and annual report with the State.
- Clif will continue to find the usernames/passwords for the LinkdIn and Flickr accounts.
- Clif will continue to finalize the membership spreadsheet; have members not in good standing sign a new physical membership form/liability waiver and have them on file.
Next meeting is the annual meeting on December 2, 2017
CLif moved for adjournment and was seconded by Tom.
The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 10:18PM.
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space