From Eugene Maker Space
Revision as of 01:57, 11 February 2022 by Ben Hallert (talk | contribs) (Accepted at 2/10/22 meeting)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting January 6th, 2022

Call to order

7:14 PM

Attending: Beata, Karen, Ben, Michael, Piotr Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the December BoD meeting as submitted.

The motion was seconded by Beata.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.


President's report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

$2172.79 in bank $0 PayPal $157.88 Patreon = $2330.67 This is a difference of +155 dollars from this point last month.

The renewal of Meetup.com has been cancelled.

Shop status

Beata is working on brackets for the cameras and reported three sets of visitors.

Karen spoke with our neighbor a week ago (E-Motion) who reported seeing a member bringing in a bed. Karen checked the cameras and didn't find any evidence of it.

Remote door unlock stopped working, Ben found it had been unplugged from ethernet. Plugged it back in, all was well.

Old Business/Action Item Review

COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

The State of Oregon has re-implemented indoor mask mandates due to a big uptick in infections (largely due to the the Delta and now Omicron variant). Karen has updated the text on the website to reflect our new mask-mandate status in compliance with state rules until further notice.

Karen asked if we should be having Open Hack right now consider both the pandemic and difficulties in staffing. We discussed the speed at which the Omicron variant is hitting.

Ben proposed we formally cancel Open Hacks between now and the next board meeting and re-evaluate based on the pandemic status at that point.

ACTION: Board will will re-evaluate the Open Hack closure status at the February BoD meeting based on the pandemic status.

ACTION: Karen will will Update webpage Post a note in Slack Remove open hacks from public calendar.

ACTION: Ben will will re-print and replace the signs in the shop window.

Ben will ask KayDee to assist with lease renewal

Their original new lease terms were 3% increase each year for the next three years and she has negotiated 0% increase for this year and 2 1/2% for next year and then again the year after that. KayDee cited the pandemic’s impact on our primary membership tool (open hack) and reduced shop use & lost members as the community faced employment challenges and more.

Bennett modified the terms per above and said that while we pay less than the other tenants, they appreciate both what we do in the community and the impact of COVID-19 on our operations.

ACTION: Ben will will sign lease and send copy to Piotr.

Ben will make a pair of 30 foot CAT-5s

Ben dropped off cable for Beata, he made the two 30 foot cables.

Karen will respond to Elegoo's letter accepting their offer for a resin printer


Piotr will remove the payment method used for renewals from the meetup.com account


Piotr will check with Tom to verify whether or not the Smithy was a donation as prelude to an upgrade

Tom Conlin does not know the source of the Smithy that's in the shop. It's been in the shop for more than six months without a tag then which means it belongs to the shop so the upgrade is on.

Ben will make a channel on Slack for requesting consumables

He did this, then we decided to talk about the status of Discord as a replacement for Slack. He suggested that we move forward in transitioning the group to Slack.

Karen expressed concern about data retention. Discord keeps all messages indefinitely. Karen clarified that Discord's threads do fade-out, Piotr noted that the thread-freeze window changes with Nitro boosts.

Karen also asked whether or not Discord content could be mirrored to a forum for accessibility, we discussed the technical feasibility.

ACTION: Board will will work out and implement if neccessary a migration plan.

New Business

Door Replacement

Ben tried out the door and also experienced the problem with the striker needing a lot of force to close.

Karen recognized the symptoms and believes the issue stems from the door being almost hollow in that area.

Piotr asked whether or not the landlord should be responsible for replacing the door. He suggested that we do this after we sign the new lease and described this as a normal 'wear and tear replacement'.

ACTION: Piotr will will give Karen access to the Bennett Portal. ACTION: Karen will will request a door replacement.

Authorize Dick to dispose of the vaccuformer

We want to keep it!


Piotr dropped off the printer and resin. Ben will document the use of the machine and put together some Do's & Don'ts and implement a training and rules combo because of the potential for messes.

Elegoo requested that we fill out a form and submit it, Piotr will take care of this.

ACTION: Piotr will will fill out the form and send it to Elegoo.


Motion: Piotr moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:11 PM.