From Eugene Maker Space
Revision as of 17:29, 2 July 2021 by Ben Hallert (talk | contribs) (Approved at 06/02/2021 meeting)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting May 6th, 2021

Call to order

7:15 PM Attending: Ben, Karen, Beata, Piotr Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as presented.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the April BoD meeting as submitted.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.


President's report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

We have $1,438.88 in the bank, $48.30 in PayPal, 0 in Patreon, and everything is paid up. We have $1,487.18 money left which is an increase of $355.11 from last month.

1 new member and one member adjusted from $10 to $35. We are still at around 6-7 members short of even.

Karen checked, there are no outstanding Broadcom contributions currently. We received a $250 Network for Good contribution! We also got a $90 check.

Piotr will be doing the state re-registration and IRS reporting for our organization before the 17th.

Shop status

Ben visited the shop. It's cluttered and a bit dusty, but it's been worse. Karen described it as having a semi-abandoned vibe. Beata reported no change from last month.

Old Business/Action Item Review

Karen will update burn rate number on whiteboard at shop


Ben will see if he can improve the new user flow


COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

Karen updated the webpage with information regarding the state-level fluctuations in risk level. Oregon went from High to Extreme then back to High. Our rules for the different risk levels are documented at the shop with the restrictions of how this affects the shop as appropriate.

Karen will cancel all meetup events through the next board meeting


Ben and Facebook Calendar

Recurring. In progress.

Karen will schedule bank trip with Piotr, Ben, and Beata

Unable to continue at this time due to COVID-19. The county remains in Extreme Risk category. Karen's recommendation is that we continue to cancel open hacks through February and refresh the membership's memory regarding mask rules, spacing.

Karen will install a new hard drive in the 3d Printer workstation


Karen will write a letter to the Meetup.com membership to see if we can convert some of them to members

Ongoing. Piotr brainstormed some language about how we're spending money on Meetup and lack of assurance about whether or not it's providing useful information to the people on the list. "Is there any reason that you being here is something we should keep paying for?" We're moving everything to Patreon where we make money. Please either move there or give us a very good reason why we should stay here.

Karen: At the very least, we should be advertising on Meetup that we have a Patreon. Or maybe we should institute a $1 a year level to cover our Meetup.com costs.

We will revisit next month.

ACTION: board will will revisit Meetup.com situation.

Piotr will set up a Github org for us to use a ticket system


Karen will set up a Github account


Beata will set up a Github account


New Business

PreservationQuest followup

The interested party wanted us to alter how we run the organization at our own financial risks with the understanding that this would allow him to use the organization to meet his production needs. There was some uncertainty over the specifics of how the organization would be able to provide the services, for one. There were also unanswered questions about how specialized equipment would be secured when not being used, some questions about how the grant process would work, and uncertainty regarding the amount of time commitment required by Maker Space personnel. There were also some concerns about how the relationship would benefit the Maker Space and what his organization would bring to the collaboration so in the end, the Maker Space board decided against moving forward with this project.

Shop renovations, Tech, and the Future. Part II

The board had an action item to spend the next month capturing their concepts about what the future of the maker space looks like to them.

Ben suggested that we pursue a dirt-room concept where we would move the debris-producing equipment (table saw, sanders, saws, grinders) and make the rest of the shop would be dust-free/clean.

Karen suggested bisecting the shop along the bookcase/member storage line which would put the garage door into the 'dirty' side.

Lasers could move over to where the woodworking area is now. 3D printers could live out in front or in the office and the office space might be good for equipment that's more sensitive to temperature fluctuations.

Piotr asked if we can make a model of the shop to experiment with layout concepts. Ben will take measurements for Karen, she'll put together a quick & dirty SketchUp or equivalent.

ACTION: Ben will will collect measurements of the shop dimensions for Karen to make a rough sketchup.

ACTION: Board will Review our digital communication methods at next meeting.


Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM.