EMSBo DMeeting Minutes040518
Board of Directors
Meeting date: 04/05/2018 - audio recording available [HERE]
- 2 Old Business/Action Item Review
- 3 New Business
- 3.1 Metal Working Area Proposals led by Tanda
- 3.2 Member Storage / Review of EMS Policy and enforcement procedure
- 3.3 Acceptance of Donations Policy and New Shop Position (Donation Handler) & enforcement of Color Tag System
- 3.4 Upcoming Event Opportunities/Announcements led by Jher
- 3.5 Improvements to the shop and role and power of board members discussion requested by Joe Tyndall
- 4 Action Items:
Call to order:
A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 Mc Kinley street, Suite #1, Eugene OR on April 5th , 2018. The meeting convened at 6:14 PM, Kevin Forsyth presiding and Jeffrey Garman acting as interim secretary in Ben’s stay.
Board Members in attendance: Jeffrey, Karen, Kevin, Jher.
Board Members not in attendance: Ben, Pieter(who did arrive 20 minutes into meeting)
Quorum present? Yes
Also Present Were: Cliff, Bruce, Joe, Tanda, David W.
Approve agenda, and previous minutes.
- Call to order
- Approve the agenda
- Review previous meeting minutes (March 1st)
- Approve previous minutes
- Officers Reports
- President's Report
- Secretary's Report
- Treasurer's Report
- Old Business/Action Item Review
- Co C review for possible editing
- Jeffrey’s ongoing contact with EMS(baseball) about info table
- Joe’s lecture series work
- New Business
- Metal Working Area Proposals (discussion led by Tanda)
- Member Storage / Review of EMS Policy and enforcement procedure (Tanda)
- Acceptance of Donations Policy and New Shop Position (Donation Handler) & enforcement of Color Tag System
- Upcoming Event Opportunities/Announcements led by Jher
- Improvements to the shop and role and power of board members discussion requested by Joe Tyndall
- Action Items Review
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Jeffrey and seconded by Karen to approve this meeting's proposed agenda. Jher made one comment about how his action items should be indicated with “J.” in meeting documents. This detail was noted.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Approval of minutes:
Motion was made by Karen and seconded by Jeffrey to approve the minutes of the 3/01/18 meeting.
The Motion carried with unanimous approval.
Nothing to report.
Secretary not present. Interum secretary has nothing to report in Bens' stay.
Payments are all current for the month. We have $1983.11 in our accounts due to member fees and two large donations. Cliff mentioned that the insurance will be due soon and he and Piotr exchanged the details of that. Piotr revealed it was his birthday and we all sung for him.
ACTION: Piotr will continue to be fiscally attentative for the benifit of EMS.
Old Business/Action Item Review
Co C Review and Possible Editing
Co C was to be reviewed by Kevin and Tanda. Kevin did not remember this item. Tanda sought counsel from the NAO and was given a list of lawyers we could call on. She stated that while NP’s get a discount doing so is still highly cost prohibitive. Joe requested an explanation of why we were reviewing the Co C. He was given one.
Jeffrey’s ongoing contact with EMS(baseball) about event info table.
Communication is ongoing concerning EMS Baseball Game info table at PK Park. Dale communicated to Jeffrey that he was no longer interested in Shop Steward position.
ACTION: continue communication
Joe’s Lecture Series work
Joe was unable to find people to do presentations. He tried posting it the weekly and spoke to folk in person. He thinks future attempts will require more thought.
Metal Working Area Proposals led by Tanda
Tanda discussed some ideas she collaborated with Chris Franks on about how to lay out the metal working area. The Board & other members went to the area to brainstorm and try to understand the pertinent issues. The location of the spark collection barrier wall was discussed and it’s movement was suggested. Further discussion of ventilation issues became the main focus and it was decided to form a committee to explore the options and ultimately make a recommendation to the board how the metal working area should be laid out, taking into account the important issue of ventilation. Joe requested that a air to air heat exchanging system be considered for inclusion into any ventilation system.
Kevin will email the membership soliciting volunteers for a special committee for shop design & infrastructure (ie, decided how to layout the metal working area, ventilation, etc.)
JG will help kevin write this email (or, section of larger email kevin will write).
Member Storage / Review of EMS Policy and enforcement procedure
Tanda presented the member storage policy and suggested we officially merge it into the governing documents. Tanda seems to have already done the leg work re: editing the docs, handed it out to everyone to review, next meeting we will vote whether to officially update the GD's and upload them to the website.
Also, members have been complaining about the general disarray of the member storage area, other members 'crushing their boxes', and some members taking up too much space, and 'this has been going on for a long time'. The board responded by saying that complaints like this should be brought to the board sooner rather than later and it's the board's job to get members to comply. This brought up the issue of filling the shop steward position, and how sorely we need one.
Also discussed to notify members immediately that in a few months we'll be doing another spring cleaning 'trash square' winnowing of stuff, so make sure your storage items are labelled and in compliance with policy.
Kevin will address member storage and announce the late spring cleaning in his upcoming email.
JG will help provide kevin with a 'deep list' of members' emails to make sure everyone hears about the warning about lots of stuff either being thrown out or claimed by EMS.
Acceptance of Donations Policy and New Shop Position (Donation Handler) & enforcement of Color Tag System
Karen points out that not all colors/stickers are available for our existing system. Board empowered Karen to develop a new color scheme that will be practicable using colors that are easily available. Karen proposed creating a new position for "Donation Handler" to prevent future missunderestanding and to slow the growing clutter/hoarding trend at EMS.
Also discussed was the proliferation of yellow tags and concerns about some members essentially using EMS as their own storage place for tools/equipment not freely available for use to everyone. Sincere discussion about the need to make sure members are adequately trained to use some large/expensive tools ensued. The board agreed that questions about whether certain items should be allowed in the shop with yellow tags will have to be decided on a case-by-case basis. We also talked about the glass kiln's we have and how they are currently not ideally located, but maybe Dale will build a cart for one of them?
Karen will trial performing as Donations/Acceptance Technician
Karen will come up with a new tagging/sticker/color scheme/system
Upcoming Event Opportunities/Announcements led by Jher
Jher talks about a few events:
Date Friday April 21st. “What is Universe”
Beaver bar camp
open source agriculture hult center talk - how to build your own 3d printer
IAMCR June 20th and 21st eco fair - opening night is free
Jher said the details of all these events will be in the EMS calander.
Improvements to the shop and role and power of board members discussion requested by Joe Tyndall
Joe asked for clarity about how decisions are made re: shop layout, and also expressed grievance re: treatment towards him. Joe left to catch an LTD bus before the discussion ended. It was unclear if he left with the clarifications he requested. The board did agreed that we REALLY need an official shop steward to mediate stuff like 'where should the safety glasses and ear plugs go'.
Kevin will call for shop steward nominations/volunteers in his email to the membership (shop steward position will ultimately be decided by vote of the board.)
- Kevin will email the membership soliciting volunteers for a special committee for shop design & infrastructure (ie, decided how to layout the metal working area, ventilation, etc.)
- + call for shop steward nominations/volunteers in his state of the union email to the membership
- Kevin will address member storage and announce the late spring cleaning in the email.
- Piotr will continue to be fiscally attentative for the benifit of EMS.
- Continue outreach efforts in the community; EMS PK Park, Bring Metamorpohose event, 2nd Star Festival, King-Pong, etc...
- JG will help kevin write this state of the union email (or, section of larger email kevin will write).
- JG will help provide Kevin with a 'deep list' of members' emails to make sure everyone hears about the warning about lots of stuff either being thrown out or claimed by EMS.
- Karen will come up with a new tagging/sticker/color scheme/system
- Karen will trial performing as Donations/Acceptance Technician
- Post all those great events to the EMS website.
Jeffrey moved for adjournment and was seconded by Kevin.
The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 8:12PM.
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space
* Set ALLOWTOPICCHANGE = Main.EmsGDGroup
* Set ALLOWTOPICRENAME = Main.EmsGDGroup