From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting January 9th, 2020

Call to order

6:22PM Attending: Ben, Karen, Beata Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the December BoD meeting as amended.

The motion was seconded by Beata.

Motion passes, the vote was unanimous.


President's report

Karen spoke with Aiden to verify there were no special document requirements. She will talk with Piotr when he comes back to discuss any bank-related things that need to happen. We've had a good number of people attend Open Hacks this year so far as well as several new paying members,

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

Placeholder: get numbers from Piotr

Public Relations report

Nothing to report.

Shop Status report

The shop needs another scheduled cleanup day. Beata will reach out to the membership to organize a cleanup event.

Ben has been making some progress towards rebuilding one of the K40 lasers. Him and Karen met on Jan 1 and inventoried the two K40s to determine what the best path to making them functional was. He is re-assembling the laser donated by Kassie back to a hybrid halfway between what it was from the manufacturer and what Kassie was working towards and is building an adjustable Z-table for focus and using the original controller. Once it is working, he will turn to the other laser and bring it to functionality as well using what he learned on the first one. After it's online, he will complete the planned upgrades to Kassie's laser so that it has a full-size cutting area and uses the Smoothie board.

ACTION: Beata will will reach out to the membership to schedule a cleanup this month.

ACTION: Ben and Karen will will continue bringing one of the K40s back to functionality.

Old Business/Action Item Review

Ben will update the website to reflect the new membership level


Ben will give a school lock key to Bennett

Not done yet.

Patreon sign


Ben will attempt to sell downdraft


Ben will price out strip curtains


Karen will send out a notice to the membership about the OSHpark cards and 1bit square discount


Karen will fill out and submit the requested verification forms for matching donations

She attempted to do this and the donation site is offline. Once the group responds to her inquiry, she will continue this effort.

Karen will create a Treasury Slack channel


Ben will reach out to Darby re: NomCon 2020

Done, see new business.

Ben will start posting Open Hack advertisements on Facebook


New Business

NomCon meeting report

Ben reported on his meeting with Darby from the organization committee. She envisions that the EMS will have a table on the Friday night of the event to showcase projects and attract members. She also thinks we would be a good place for groups to visit as part of a scheduled tour. Ben has also joined the NomCon 2020 organization Slack and is participating there.

The way the event was presented last month by Jher and Clif was not an accurate representation of what NomCon has in mind for our involvement, but Ben recommended that regardless, we do our best to help out and be involved.

Karen asked for some specifics about what kind of support NomCon needed from EMS and Ben shared that Darby is hoping we can find some volunteers to help with staffing and that no financial commitment was being asked.

ACTION: Ben will will reach out to the membership to seek volunteers and folks who wish to showcase projects and will create a channel in the Slack.

Proposal for official thanks to Austin VanderPlaat

Karen reported that we received a check from Systems West Engineers informing us that Austin VanderPlaat had earned $200 through >950 miles of alternate transportation and he chose that it be donated to the Maker Space.

ACTION: Karen will will write a letter of thanks on behalf of the board to Austin VanderPlaat.

Verify Piotr's reimbursement

Due to the efforts of Thomas Pierce, his employer paid $1200 for use of the Maker Space and it had a dramatic positive impact on our financial situation. Karen recommends that we immediately pay Piotr to reimburse him what he loaned to the shop last year.

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors We immediately reimburse Piotr for the money he loaned to the Maker Space last year.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

The motion passed unanimously, we will reach out to him via Slack to get the final amount and finish this transaction.

ACTION: Karen will will send a letter of thanks to Thomas on behalf of the board for his efforts.

Fred Meyers

Fred Meyers has a non-profit similar to smile.amazon.com where their customers can choose to dedicate a portion of their purchases to the charity of their choice. Karen recommends we consider pursuing getting into this system as an option then letting our membership know.

ACTION: Karen will will fill out the application.

Note: The 501c3 determination forms are in Slack.


The meeting was adjourned at 6:58PM.