From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting February 10th, 2022

Call to order


Attending: Karen, Ben, Michael, Piotr, Beata Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the January BoD meeting as submitted.

The motion was seconded by Michael.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.


President's report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

Money accounts as of 02/10/2022

Bank $2564.14 PayPal $48.02 Patreon $87.52


Sum $2699.68 (diff from last month +$369.01)

Memberships: Cash from Sam Rainey: $35.00 Cash from Sam Rainey: $35.00 Check from Dick Penny: $105.00

Donations: Check from Systems West Engineers: $200.00

We will be able to pay our annual insurance in full.

Shop status

Beata and Ben set up the new printer Elegoo donated at the shop, it is now online. We would like to talk about the printer on social media. Some ideas Karen suggested:

  • Instructional video about how to use the printer
  • Blog post about using it
  • Some pictures of it printing/prints

We received a large donation of IoT and development SoC boards and some computers including an All In One.

Old Business/Action Item Review

COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

The State of Oregon has re-implemented indoor mask mandates due to a big uptick in infections (largely due to the the Delta and now Omicron variant). Karen has updated the text on the website to reflect our new mask-mandate status in compliance with state rules until further notice.

Board will re-evaluate the Open Hack closure status at the February BoD meeting based on the pandemic status

Karen asked if we should be having Open Hack right now consider both the pandemic and difficulties in staffing. We discussed the speed at which the Omicron variant is hitting.

Ben suggested we continue to do no Open Hacks for another cycle. Piotr noted that the state-wide mask mandate will expire next month so re-evaluating our mask rules in conjunction with that would make sense.

Karen provided some details on the Oregon state plan and agreed to recommend extending it another month.

Should the mandate be lifted sooner, the board will reconvene to make a decision at that time.

Karen will Update webpage, post a note in Slack, remove open hacks from public calendar re: COVID surge


Ben will re-print and replace the signs in the shop window


Ben will sign lease and send copy to Piotr


Piotr will give Karen access to the Bennett Portal


Karen will request a door replacement


Piotr will fill out the form and send it to Elegoo


New Business

Board will work out and implement if necessary a Discord migration plan

There has been a discussion about planning out the migration in Discord.

Posted rules need to be updated re: garbage service

Review of governing documents

Karen has requested a review of the EMS governing documents. The current documents were written with enthusiasm but are ready for updating. Among other things, our Code of Conduct documentation does not cover the minimum requirements that Discord has and needs to be fleshed out. Piotr has adopted rules on his server that come from the open source community and has had great success with them and suggests formally implementing them as ours too, but our current governing documents limited the applicable reach of this type of ruleset so Piotr has made changes to a proposed ruleset that limits the rules to the electronic space as opposed to also encompassing the physical space.

Finally, before we can begin the migration, the board must review and approve the proposed rules.

ACTION: Board will shall review Piotr's proposed rules for electronic spaces in anticipation of the Discord migration.

We discussed what the role of including the rest of the community in the review of the proposed rules. Piotr suggested that we paste the proposed rules into Slack and invite community comment before the next BoD meeting. He modified his suggestion to using Patreon to make the announcement as an option as well.

ACTION: Karen will Post the #welcome rules to Slack and invite comment.

ACTION: Piotr will Post the #welcome rules to Patreon and invite comment.

Our physical rules must be updated to reflect the garbage service.

Web page stuff

While working on the Elegoo tasks, Karen re-activated our blog and discovered lots of cruft in the cracks due, in part, to the method that was used by a previous blog admin to roll out posts. She wanted to check for consensus re: deleting useless drafts and making some changes to the organization of the menus.

The board said "go for it".


Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:53 PM.