From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting March 4th, 2021

Call to order

7:03PM Attending: Ben, Karen, Beata, Piotr Also present: Dick Penny

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda.

The motion was seconded by Beata.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the February BoD meeting as submitted.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.


President's report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

We had $2,742.48 in bank, $48.30 in PayPal, $32.39 in Patreon. Rent paid, actual money $1,323.17 on-hand. We are -$140.04 since last month.

Note: This month, we paid for Meetup.

Piotr took all of the different expenses (spread over the year) and amortized them into a monthly figure to better determine our burn rate of $1,778.66. $121 average utility cost for the previous year, Meetup comes to about $17 a month.

Our income is $1,582.91 which is $195.75 less than our burn rate (which works out to about 6 memberships).

ACTION: Karen will Update burn rate number on whiteboard at shop.

Shop status

Ben noted we have a broken toilet seat and suggested we fix it.

Karen noted that our electronics pile by the office has grown and suggests we prioritize working on it. She also noted a general increase in shop entropy of the sort that happens when there isn't a regular presence at the shop like when we were doing Open Hack nights.

Dick Penny reported that there's been some progress on getting rid of the toner refiller. Schnitzer will pay for it if we can get it to them. He's put some of the panels back up on the device so it can be wheeled. There was about 5-10 lbs of the toner powder in a bag by the door, Dick moved it to a metal bucket so it can be disposed of. He was able to dispose of the filters for it, the device is ready to be wheeled.

He has a friend who can offer use of a truck and hopes to get it out within the next month or so.

He's removed about 71 gallons of wood chips and delivered them to someone using them for a fireplace. He's emptied all of the trash bins into the bin out back (prior to the Tuesday collection). He's taken 3 beer-boxes full of half-empty spray paint cans. He's gotten rid of a bunch of open volatiles from that area too. He'll also bring the pail of metal shavings we have, perhaps that'll make some money for the shop too.

Old Business/Action Item Review

Ben will see if he can improve the new user flow


COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

On Friday, February 26, 2021, Lane county will officially enter the “:large_orange_circle: High Risk” category for the first time. Up to this point we have existed in the “Extreme” category, since the inception of this system. As the 4th largest county (in terms of population) it’s of note that #’s 2 & 3 are moving down from High to Moderate, and #1 (Multnomah) is staying steady at High this round. Overall it’s a picture of steady, if slow, decline. Recommendation changes from Extreme to High are as follows, focusing on those elements which affect us (source: https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3461.pdf): Social/At-Home indoor gatherings: :large_orange_square: Max 6 people, recommended 2 households Social/At-Home outdoor gatherings: :arrow_down_small: Up to 8 people total, households recommendations removed. Eating and Drinking Establishments: :arrow_down_small: Indoor, 25% capacity, limit is 6 persons per group, 2 households. Indoor Recreation (gyms, pools, skating): :arrow_down_small: 25% capacity, contact sports prohibited. Indoor Entertainment (museums, theaters): :arrow_down_small: 25% capacity. Offices: :arrow_down_small: Recommend remote work, ‘close to public’ rescinded. Now the recommendation. (sigh). I’ve based my recommendation on the following data points. We’re a bit like an indoor at-home gathering, but ‘out in the garage’. So I’ve tried to split the difference between the at-home indoor and outdoor restrictions. Our open hacks operate more like an indoor entertainment venue. For our “Maximum Occupancy” I’ve used the number 20-24, as that’s the most people I can remember being in the shop.. It would be a significant challenge to keep everyone at 6 feet if there were that many people! I’ve referenced the chart on this page: https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3461.pdf In terms of daily member and guest access limits, this is what I saw in terms of “splitting the difference” between at-home indoor and outdoor. https://i.imgur.com/lIfqLoS.png In terms of Open Hacks, these were my thoughts: https://i.imgur.com/aB85mC4.png --- So here we go.. A battle plan for now, and going forward: Recommended organizational response “PLAN” to risk levels.

red_circle: Extreme: No open hack. off hours: members only please, 6 people total, 2 households total.
large_orange_circle: High: No open hack. off hours: guests allowed, 6 persons total.
large_yellow_circle: Moderate: Possible open hack (max 10). off hours: guests allowed, 8 persons total.
large_green_circle: Lower: Resume open hack (max 12). off hours: guests allowed, 10 persons total.

All plan levels above would still include masking and social distancing language. I’ve doctored up the official charts to get the following graphic for your consideration: https://imgur.com/jJVgTGE

Karen will cancel all meetup events through the next board meeting


ACTION: Karen will Karen will cancel all meetup events through the next board meeting.

Ben and Facebook Calendar

Recurring. In progress.

Karen will schedule bank trip with Piotr, Ben, and Beata

Unable to continue at this time due to COVID-19. The county remains in Extreme Risk category. Karen's recommendation is that we continue to cancel open hacks through February and refresh the membership's memory regarding mask rules, spacing.

Ben will follow up with Lightburn re: non-profit license for second laser


Ben will reach out to the membership to let them know about the laser and to coordinate to give some lessons


Karen will install a new hard drive in the 3d Printer workstation


Beata will coordinate with Michael regarding the DVR


New Business

EMS as fiscal sponsor for ARDC grants

Amateur Radio Digital Communications hams got an A block of IP addresses back in the 90s. They recently sold half the block to Amazon a few years ago for a few million dollars and this is now being used to fund some open source projects and organizations like EMS may assist in administering the funds for a modest management fee. Piotr would like to pursue possibly getting us into a position to help some members of the Open Source community get access to the grant monies so that we can further our charter of benefiting these types of endeavors with the additional bonus of the Maker Space gaining some revenue for those services performed.

We took a straw poll, there was a general consensus that we were interested in learning more so Piotr will continue to research that.

Meetup membership

We spend $200 a year on this, are we getting use out of it? We discussed possibly ending our subscription. We're paid out 5 months so we have that amount of time to decide.

ACTION: Karen will Will write a letter to the Meetup.com membership to see if we can convert some of them to members.


Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:24PM.