From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting April 2nd, 2020

Call to order

6:06 PM Attending: Ben, Karen, Beata, Piotr, Jeffrey Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the March BoD meeting as amended.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was unanimous.


President's report

Open Hack nights were suspended March 17th, the membership was notified on the 18th and signs were posted to this effect and urging members to use good distancing and sanitation practices. The shop is open to members with keys. Shop usage has dropped since the announcement but there are still occasional visits by members. 17 members are currently scheduled for cancellation as the result of a Patreon API bug Ben first created then addressed. This spurred Karen to consider what our long term responsibilities are in the case of the organization not surviving the crisis.

Governor Brown has imposed a moratorium on evictions for the next 90 days so this creates a safety window for us if things go completely upside down so we have some time to address shortfalls.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

He has initiated the Patreon transfer to our bank account of $1,409.27 which covers our rent. Rent was paid on 3/31. OCCU reports that we have $608.67 in the account. PayPal reports that we have $193.90.

Everything is paid up (including our Comcast bill). Thank you Karen for calling in and taking care of the billing difficulties. Our speed has increased and our monthly bill has lowered slightly.

Piotr suggests that we make a schedule note somewhere with a date on when to renew our account.

Karen has not been to the shop since the COVID-19 emergency began and does not currently have access to a car to get into a drivethrough. She believes there may be cash in the box from at least one of our members based on past results, possibly $35.

Piotr suggests we not take special steps to deactivate any cash-keys in the meantime and assume our few cash members are still paying. He suggests keeping an eye out for any possible grants or other relief from the state.

Shop status

Beata has not been to the shop since the 17th.

Karen spoke with Todd and he reported there were no major issues he could see. No missing TP, masks, PPE, etc.

Piotr asked if anyone was checking the camera. Karen has on occasion and while the shop is a little cluttered, it seems to look ok.

Piotr suggested perhaps we could try to do some kind of Jitsi show & tell.

ACTION: Ben will Try to put together some sort of EMS Jitsi show & tell.

Old Business/Action Item Review

Karen will schedule bank trip with Piotr, Ben, and Beata

Unable to continue at this time due to COVID-19.

Beata will reach out to the membership to help coordinate a cleanup day

Done. Beata and Karen were the only ones to show up. They organized battery-powered tools, determined what had power, and did work on cleaning up the front.

Karen needs to finish the arcade machines

The root cause (NomCon) was canceled and the need for it no longer exists.

Ben will reach out to the membership to let them know about the laser and to coordinate to give some lessons


Piotr will get a list of active members from Ben and use it to feed a new members list

Piotr will see if the list generated in the door report will suffice for this. Karen was investigating some mail she received at the steward mailing list and it highlighted that we have many mailing lists that may be due to be trimmed. She suggests that we take steps to retire our mailing lists in general as they are still listed in our 'Get Involved' page and may send folks down an unwelcome rabbithole as they are so unused.

She has felt an interest in doing a wide-scale pruning of outdated information from the site.

ACTION: Karen will Coordinate with Ben re: discussion about upgrading the website.

Ben will provide an interface so that Karen can have access to the membership forms


Ben will remove note in Patreon that we will have a Patreon display


Ben will fix whatever's spamming Piotr


Ben, Karen, and Beata will brainstorm lighting install on Tuesday


Karen will start collecting credentials to our accounts in a more secure location and then provide details

Done! The link has been posted to the BoD Slack and is pinned so it is retained.

Beata will reach out to John to let him know we have his Shopsmith manuals

Done. Karen did it.

Karen will make a lost & found box


New Business

COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

We initially closed the shop for four weeks. Based on the current situation, it looks like social distancing will continue further (possibly April 30th by the current direction). She suggests that we continue to close open hacks.

Piotr feels it's important for us to remind the membership about the importance of their memberships. Karen will pen a letter to the membership about our status.

ACTION: Ben will Update schedules where possible to reflect this.

ACTION: Karen will Draft a letter to slack.

Review 'end of life' obligations for the organization.

We don't have any meaningful way to recruit at the moment with open hack suspended. Piotr asked if we can put together a procedure so that new members can be remotely be given access to the shop sufficient to get their unregistered key (and then register).

Karen re-capped the info about the COVID-19 eviction moratorium from her President's Report.

She has reviewed our bylaws and noted that in the case of dissolution, our assets that cannot be returned to their owners must be donated to appropriate charities. She expressed concerns about us being evicted while social distancing is in place. We discussed that there is a moratorium on eviction so this is not a realistic risk.

Piotr said that in the case that we need to go under (assuming the organization fails), the task of decommissioning the space will be a one-two day task.

Karen shared her concern that we did not have end-of-life plans. We don't anticipate this is a high risk right now, but we should understand our responsibilities.


Motion: Piotr moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:11PM.