From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting May 14th, 2020

Call to order

6:15 PM Attending: Ben, Karen, Beata Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Karen moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the April BoD meeting as amended.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was unanimous.


President's report

We have received some contact requests from prospective members but we did not do a great job at following up in a timely manner with them as a group. She reported on some specific interactions including someone who wants to do a GoFundMe to purchase printers for PPE creation with a goal of providing the printers to the Maker Space afterwards. The GoFundMe is https://www.gofundme.com/f/EugenePPEPrint

She provided some instructions on how to sign up to a few people who wrote it. She also corresponded with another prospective member who had some equipment requirements we could't assist with. She met with another possible member who expressed interest in using the shop to work on their housevan. Finally, she spoke with someone who wanted to know whether our lasers could cut 1/4" plywood. Karen advised them that the CNC table might be better and is waiting for a response.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

We are currently paid up for last month. We have $1,706.93 in the bank account, $189.91 in Paypal, and $41.43 in Patreon. The total is $1,938.27. Our May bills still need to be paid: Comcast: $58.80 Power: $120

We gained one $10 supporter on Patreon and saw a reduction in pledge from another member last month plus 4 lost. Essentially we saw a net loss in 3.5 members ($120 down).

Karen has not made a bank run recently so the amount of money in the cash box is not known.

Shop status

Ben reported that he discovered some light 'snowfall' in the shop a few weeks ago from a member project that wasn't properly cleaned. Beata did some cleanup on the mess but we still have some catching up to do. Ben posted a request to the Slack in #woodworking that people do a better job cleaning up after their projects. Karen did a remote check earlier today via camera and all looked ok from that angle.

Old Business/Action Item Review

COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

As of 5/14, Lane County has been approved for phase 1 re-opening. While it allows up to 25 inhabitants, we cannot meet the criteria in our current state as the shop cannot be sanitized nor do we have the capability to provide masks/PPE on the scale needed. LTD schedules remain curtailed which affects our ability to crew Open Hacks due to members who rely on it for transportation. Karen suggests that we watch for Bank Lobby/Eugene Library operations for guidance on re-opening as they face many of the same challenges we do. She advises that we extend the open-hack moratorium by another month and then decide. She also advocated that we reach out to the membership with a status letter.

We had consensus on Karen's proposal to continue the current status-quo re: open hack and shop status until Phase 2 of the Oregon Re-opening plan.

Piotr expressed concern about how poorly some of our current membership are doing with shop cleanup and noted that we will need to improve this as part of the re-opening for hygiene/safety reasons as well and that we will need to really buckle down on asserting the importance of cleaning up the shop when we make messes and that the board consider treating messes as a membership-risk going forward in addition to adopting the proper spacing and sanitizing procedures.

ACTION: Karen will send a status letter to the membership.

Ben will try to put together some sort of EMS Jitsi show & tell

Ben has not been able to organize any of these meetups for health reasons. He will see if he can get someone to give this a shot using the integrated Google Hangout.

ACTION: Ben will He will see if he can get someone to give this a shot using the integrated Google Hangout.

Karen will schedule bank trip with Piotr, Ben, and Beata

Unable to continue at this time due to COVID-19.

Ben will reach out to the membership to let them know about the laser and to coordinate to give some lessons


Karen will coordinate with Ben re: discussion about upgrading the website


Ben will provide an interface so that Karen can have access to the membership forms


Ben, Karen, and Beata will brainstorm lighting install on Tuesday


Ben update schedules where possible to reflect closure status

ACTION: Ben will Contact Michael for help to get access to page.

Karen draft a letter to Slack


New Business

Laser status

Reported on the laser problem. Appears to be the flyback transformer. He will attempt to transplant parts from the other laser being fixed. Karen will see if she can bring the broken laser to Ben (who is stuck at home for health reasons) for repair.

Lightburn license acquired for the shop.

ACTION: Ben will Follow up with Lightburn re: non-profit license.

Remote access for members needing a key

ACTION: Ben will Modify the door unlock code to allow for users without keys but with privileges.


Motion: Piotr moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:32PM.