From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting June 11th, 2020

Call to order

6:19PM Attending: Ben, Karen, Beata, Piotr Also present:

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Piotr moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the May BoD meeting as amended.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was unanimous.


President's report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

Everything is currently paid up. Bank: $1,602.40 PayPal: $48.30 Patreon: $119.82 Total: $1770.52

Karen has $105 in cash an $140 in checks on hand pending deposit.

We're in an ok shape barring insurance because it will be ~$300.

The payments from Broadcom for employee matching haven't been deposited yet.

ACTION: We'll will revisit this next month.

Shop status

A member reported poor shop conditions last month. Karen went onsite and did some cleaning. Ben got parts of an electric leafblower and figured out a way to use it to blow a bunch most dust out. A regular cycle of vacuuming and blowing may be a sustainable model going forward for values of sustainable. Karen reported that the level of dust in the shop wasn't as bad as she'd expected, she suspects it was in part due to some cleaning done by other members following an egregious possible plexiglass cutting session that left plastic 'snow' in the woodworking area.

Old Business/Action Item Review

COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

As of 6/5, Lane County has been approved for Phase 2 re-opening.

Ben suggested we get a box of courtesy masks and hand sanitizer to place by front door and then subsequently re-activate Open Hack as able.

Karen and Piotr suggest

Karen's concern is that we may not be able to assure staffing under the current conditions.

Piotr expressed similar concerns and added that he there was a risk we would be unable to maintain safe spacing especially while the caseload is rising. He also suggested that we define acceptable criteria for hosting Open Hack for other members of the community to host if they wanted because between Ben's health issues and her and Beata's transportation challenges, guaranteed core staffing is difficult to guarantee but there may be some members of the community who are up to the challenge.

We discussed the recent uptick in cases and considered whether pushing to re-open at all was a wise decision.

Beata shared that he feels we should have something and volunteered to staff Tuesday.

With Beata's offer, Piotr suggested we do a test run on Tuesdays for 2 hours under the new COVID-19 aware guidelines to see what happens.

Karen and Ben endorsed the plan.

ACTION: Ben will will get some courtesy masks and hand sanitizer and make a sign. ACTION: Ben will will update our Facebook calendar to reflect Tuesday open-hacks. ACTION: Karen will will update the Meetup and Google calendar likewise.

Karen will send a status letter to the membership regarding shop COVID status


Karen will schedule bank trip with Piotr, Ben, and Beata

Unable to continue at this time due to COVID-19.

Ben will follow up with Lightburn re: non-profit license for second laser


Ben will reach out to the membership to let them know about the laser and to coordinate to give some lessons


Ben will provide an interface so that Karen can have access to the membership forms

We're closing this out, no further need.

Ben update schedules where possible to reflect closure status

Done. Karen additionally changed our open hours on Google Maps and in a Google Calendar.

Ben will modify the door unlock code to allow for users without keys but with privileges


New Business

Laser status

Provided update on the two lasers he's rebuilding. He's encountered challenges along the way and described the next steps he's taking to try and get them back online.

May 20th insurance letter

Karen signed and sent back the letter on behalf of the board. We will arrange payment.

We will be providing an updated certificate of insurance to the property management company.

ACTION: Piotr will will call the insurance company on Tuesday to arrange for payment and an updated certificate if we don't hear from them by Monday.

Bank run status

Karen's accessible OCCU is not yet available for custom. She will make a deposit when able.

Community status

Piotr suggested that we check the health of the community. He believes that our request for volunteers to help with Open Hacks will largely answer the questions he has so no action items are attached. His hope is that we can encourage members to take an active role in sharing their own project updates so we can try to bootstrap more community.


Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:02PM.