From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting July 17th, 2019

Call to order

6:20PM Attending: Aidan, Karen, Ben Also present: Daniel

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Aiden moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the June BoD meeting as amended.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was unanimous.


President's report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Informal Treasurer's report

OCCU: $37.22 Paypal: $24.15 Patreon in transit to bank account: $96.32 Everything is payed up that needed to be payed last month. Including Rent We expect to bring in $1,004 through Patreon on the 1st of next month. Depending on cash income and donations we might or might not be short a little bit to pay everything next month.

Public Relations report

No update on the story, we're assuming it's dead.

There was an email regarding tabling at the SHiNA neighborhood picnic just like last year. If someone can commit to bringing EMS stuff there to advertise and hopefully bring more members in that would be great.

Karen has emailed the administrator of SHiNA to find out what the deadline is.

ACTION: Karen will Investigate whether we can do this event.

Shop Status report

Shop is a mess. We need some help from members keeping things clean. We need someone with a car who can do a trash run. We need someone to help move some things out of the Pick-a-part.

We need some supplies:

  • More trash bags
  • Dust masks
  • Cup cleaning stuff

Old Business/Action Item Review

Ben will assist in getting Twitter creds

Aiden got the twitter creds.


Ben will provide the <6 month list to Aidan and he will contact folks with the 7/1 deadline

This is in progress, Ben provided a list and there are some open questions.

ACTION: Ben will Ben will provide the <6 month list to Aidan and he will contact folks with the 8/1 deadline.

Ben will deactivate old, non-Patreon keys

Ben drafted a letter informing the >6 monthers that includes options to pay and will word it as a 're-activate your key now' and 'we rely on members like you' and included mention of Patreon and posted it to the bod-chat in Slack, no further action occurred.

ACTION: Aidan will Check out the text of the letter to OK it.

Ben will order more keys


Ben will ask Jeffrey to help remove some folks from the listserv

And: Ben will deactivate the keys for those people

ACTION: Ben will Ask Jeffrey to help remove some folks from the listserv and deactivate their keys.

Ben will make Aidan and Amanda admins on the Facebook page


Aidan will post the interview to the Facebook and Wordpress page

No interview to post, we'll drop this from the action items.

Aidan will mail Josiah about the cameras

Karen spoke with him in person. The situation is resolved.

Karen will make No Smoking signs


New Business

June event followup

It was super fun. Karen reports that we had 3-4 members at any time throughout the day. Ben attended, Thomas and Beatta were here almost the entire day and deserve real credit for all the help. We had a good 15 or so people come through. They were checking out pick-a-part, finding projects to do, and the event was a success. Nobody wanted any watermelon.

Aidan recommends that we investigate the idea of repeating this later in this year.

We had no sign-ups that day, several people indicated interest in possibly visiting again. We have gotten a handful of new members in the off-days since, no idea if they were brought in by the event.

Complaints from other tenants

We have received complaints from other tenants about messes out in the parking, noise, and members sleeping on the premises in their cars.

Karen is concerned that we will have difficulty removing the debris from the lot without a high pressure washer.

Aidan suggested that we inform the member that the tile-cutter not be allowed because it can only be used outside.

Karen noted that we have previously banned tools that were physically too dangerous for our space (such as the Plasma Cutter and open laser) and suggests that the tile cutter may count as a tool that endangers our rent.

Aidan suggests that we reach out to the member who was using the tile saw and tell them that it has created a danger to our lease.

Ben will reach out to the specific member in question and: 1. Remind them that our no-smoking policy applies the entire parking lot. 2. We are expected to leave the parking lot clean and unmarked and all outside messes must be resolved the same day they are made. The mess and noise from the stone cutting created a situation where our lease is in danger so the tile cutter is no longer welcome here. 3. Remind the member that they are not allowed to sleep in their car on the premises, regardless of the time of day.

Aidan will reach out to the tenant who made the complaint and ask for some time to resolve this issue. Ben will bring in pressure washer.

ACTION: Ben will Talk to the member about the three items agreed on by the board as documented above.

ACTION: Ben will Ask our members to be conscious of the impact they have on surrounding businesses. It's not reasonable to expect us to be quiet, necessarily, but there's value in being aware of our impact. Also cover the subject of tarps and other steps that help us preserve the commons..

ACTION: Karen will Ask the membership to park friendly (and make a sign saying the same) to post internally.

Humble Bundle update

We are on Humble Bundle! Members can (on certain bundles) assign their own custom charity to EMS and apportion some of that to us. Members search for Eugene Maker Space (separate words) to find us.


Patreon sign

Karen has had some challenges with it recently (including a corrupted SD card) and expects it's almost done and will ready shortly once she has a time to bring the pieces together.


Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn the July meeting.

The motion was seconded by Aidan.

Motion passes, the vote was unanimous.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:20PM.