From Eugene Maker Space
Jump to: navigation, search

Eugene Maker Space Board of Directors meeting November 11th, 2021

Call to order

7:09PM Attending: Beata, Karen, Piotr, Ben Also present: Dick

Approve this agenda

Motion: Ben moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the agenda as amended.

The motion was seconded by Karen.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.

Approve previous minutes

Motion: Beatta moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors approve the minutes from the October BoD meeting as submitted.

The motion was seconded by Piotr.

Motion passes, the vote was Unanimous.


President's report

We have been contacted by a 3D printer manufacturer who is willing to give us a resin printer. They would like us to use it and generate some social media content showing members using it for projects. It's an Elegoo resin printer.

Karen would like us to find a way to accept and utilize it. She has concerns about our current environment, it would require a member to take responsibility for the printer and provide access under supervision.

The board decided we would like to respond in favor of the offer and then we'll put together some procedures to keep the printer safe and surrounding surfaces clean.

ACTION: Karen will Reach out to Elegoo about the resin printer.

Secretary's report

Nothing to report.

Treasurer's report

$2081.44 in bank $48.35 in PayPal $0 in Patreon Sum: $2,129.79 which is +$.98 from last month.

One of the members (Eric Nelson) reached out asking if we had received a donation for the laser cutter. It turns out that one of our members did a crowd-funding campaign on Facebook to raise money for laser cutter repairs. We received $275!

They will run a project to refurbish a laser tube and we will reimburse those costs from the EMS bank account.

Karen was able to do physical deposits through the ATM, this will help greatly in the future.

Shop status

Dick has taken three loads to the hazardous waste station. Dick: "Who owns the Smithy?" We believe Tom Conlin brought it to the shop but we need to verify before Dick makes an upgrade.

ACTION: Piotr will will check with Tom to verify whether or not it was a donation..

Old Business/Action Item Review

COVID-19 status review - Open Hack closure status

The State of Oregon has re-implemented indoor mask mandates due to a big uptick in infections (largely due to the the Delta variant). Karen has updated the text on the website to reflect our new mask-mandate status in compliance with state rules until further notice.

Piotr will look into Patreon integration into Slack options as part of assessing whether we want to stay on this tool

No further action on this.

ACTION: Piotr will Piotr would like to experiment with Discord as an alternative.

BoD Election planning

Voting will begin November 27th.

Ben coordinate with Karen to get a list of email addresses of members in good standing


Karen will reach out to eligible voters (including manual payers) to inform them of the nominations


Ben will audit user payment logic


New Business

Security camera

A beloved piece of loaned equipment vanished from the shop (the tablesaw) and nobody knew why/when/how. Our camera coverage is not everything that we'd like and the number of cameras we have isn't really enough to do what we want.

Karen suggested that we consider upgrading our security system/cameras.

Consumables talk

Beata noted that we're running low on some consumables such as toilet paper and masks. Ben suggested we put together a wishlist of consumables for posting to Slack to see if we can get volunteers to help restock.

Suggestion: Post each item in individual messages and have folks volunteer for picking them up by using checkmark reacts in Slack?

ACTION: Ben will Make a channel on Slack for requesting consumables.

Board meeting calendar

Currently, our website does not have a calendar on it and this interferes with us being able to properly advertise and open the BoD meetings to the membership. We took the calendar out because it broke but screwed up the next step of replacing it so we've got to follow through on that.

Karen suggested creating a secondary calendar that feeds the website.

ACTION: Karen will will create a new public facing calendar.

BoD Election Planning

  • Oct 11 - Sent out call for Nominations
  • Oct 29 - Sent out 'last call' for Nominations
  • Oct 31 - Nominations closed

Nominations Received: Karen Englebeck, Ben Hallert, Beata Dalhagen, Michael Bacarella, Jeffrey Garman, Piotr Esden-Tempski

Jeffrey declined the nomination. All other above-named candidates indicated acceptance of nomination, prior to deadline

  • Nov 1 - Sent out email with list of candidates

Election events before next Board Meeting:

  • Nov 27- Election links will be sent out and online voting will begin. (edited)


In a pre-adjournment, off-agenda discussion: ACTION: Piotr will write an update to the membership re: amateur radio related grants.

Motion: Piotr moved that the Eugene Makerspace Board of Directors adjourn.

The motion was seconded by Ben.

Motion passes, the vote was {{{4}}}.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:38PM.